The busiest week of the summer holidays has arrived with a whopping 2.4 million people anticipated to be on the move, according to the Association of British Travel Agents (ABTA). Sadly, this means that with many properties being left unoccupied for one or two weeks, home break-ins are more likely to take place.
To help prevent burglaries from happening while you’re away, follow our top tips here:
• We know it’s tempting to post that idyllic beach or pool shot but resist the urge to post any updates to social media until you return home
• Lock your doors and windows every time you leave the house, even when you're just out in the garden, remembering to double-lock UPVC doors (lift handle and turnkey)
• Hide all keys, including car keys, out of sight and away from the letterbox (remember a device could be used to hook keys through the letterbox)
• Install good outside lighting
• Get a trusted neighbour to keep an eye on your property
• Leave radios or lights in your house on a timer to make the property appear occupied
• Make sure the fences around your garden are in good condition
• Secure bikes at home by locking them to an immoveable object inside a locked shed or garage
• Keep ladders and tools stored away; don't leave them outside where they could be used to break into your home
• Ensure side gates are locked to prevent access to the rear of the property
• Ensure rear fencing is in good repair
• Improve natural surveillance at the front of your property i.e. trim high hedges
• Remove valuables from view of ground floor windows
• Store any high value items (i.e. jewellery, passports) in a properly secured safe.
Have a nice holiday from everyone at Jelson Homes!
Jelson’s new £1.2m bridge links Birstall development to Park and Ride in move to cut car journeys
Release date: 31 August 2018
A new home with all the right connections? Take a look at Jelson Homes in Long Buckby.
Release date: 28 June 2018
Jelson welcomes in the green shoots of spring with new development, The Leys
Release date: 18 April 2018
Dazzled by our Heartlands show home in Corby? Now you can have one, too!
Release date: 19 February 2018
Jelson Homes and Leicester Mercury launch second consecutive Christmas Toy Appeal
Release date: 17 November 2017
7 home buying and saving tips I wish I would have given to my younger self
Release date: 27 March 2017